Recovered Property services
Property Services is responsible for the overall control, custody, release or other disposition of property taken into possession by the Abbotsford Police Department.
PERSONAL PROPERTY TAKEN FROM PERSONS IN CUSTODY
If at the time of your arrest you have large items of property (i.e. luggage, bike or multiple bags) and you are held in custody, your property will be held at the Property Section for a period of up to 90 days.
If your property is not picked up within 90 days after your release the Property Section has authority to dispose of the property, please contact [email protected] with your name and file number within 90 days if you are unable to attend during that time period.
PROPERTY SEIZED BY POLICE OR HELD AS EVIDENCE
All property being held by Abbotsford Police Department that has been seized by the police or held as evidence cannot be released unless authorization from the Investigating Officer is on file. In the case where a forfeiture has been ordered by the Court, a copy of the order is also required to be on file.
Found property is held for 90 days by Property Services
If after the 90 day period has lapsed and no owner has been found, the property will be lawfully disposed.
SEIZED/FOUND PROPERTY AUCTIONS
Property seized in criminal investigations or recovered items that go unclaimed and are of value are auctioned via Able Auctions (Abbotsford). Items are submitted to, and auctioned by, Able Auctions on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
Able Auctions Website
- Firearms will only be released at a pre-scheduled appointment made through the Property Section.
Firearms in possession of the Abbotsford Police Department that are subject to release by way of a court order can only be released when the Property Section has received:
- A copy of the court order,
- Authorization from the Investigating Officer
- If the firearm being retrieved is a restricted weapon, you will be required to produce an Authorization to Transport (ATT) from a Chief Firearms Officer.
- For information about firearms licensing, registration, transfers and ATT’s; questions about regulatory requirements; and for forms, applications, publications, or any other assistance contact: The Canadian Firearms Program
1-800-731-4000 (toll-free for Canada and the United States)
1-506-624-6626 (for all countries outside of Canada and the United States)
Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm nationwide
Email: [email protected]