The Abbotsford Police Department is a progressive organization that is constantly developing and adapting to meet the needs of our vibrant, rapidly expanding city. We are always looking for talented individuals who want to make a difference in Abbotsford, and who honor and respect their role as police officer.
As a member of the Abbotsford Police Department, you'll undoubtedly face countless challenging situations, but you'll also have the opportunity to positively affect the lives of the many people who call Abbotsford home. You'll be standing shoulder-to-shoulder with other dedicated police officers who are passionate about their jobs and who will evolve from your colleagues into your lifelong friends. You'll be part of a team that cares for each other, looks out for one another, and pursues a common and admirable goal.
All our members are expected to not only uphold but embrace our core values:
If you are new to policing, it is vital that you understand our process for selecting police officers is strenuous. Before applying, be certain that you have the personal qualities, attributes, and strengths that are necessary to be successful as an officer. Policing is not an easy job; every day presents new challenges. But, for those who understand the role and responsibilities and commit themselves to excellence in policing, the job is incredibly rewarding.
Before you begin the application process, please familiarize yourself with our selection process and minimum requirements, and be sure you are prepared to fully commit to the process before starting.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I meet all the minimum requirements?
- Do I understand the nature of police work and the types of situations I might face as a police officer?
- Is my lifestyle one that exhibits exemplary moral and ethical character?
- Can I make sound decisions while under stress?
- Can I be assertive when the situation demands it, but also remain calm and collected?
- Is physical fitness part of my regular lifestyle?
- Am I emotionally stable and mature?
- Can I work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds in a variety of situations?
- Am I prepared for shift work? Do I understand the impact shift work has on my personal life?
- Can I work both individually and as part of a team? Do I truly understand the requirements of being a team player?
- Am I in excellent health? Am I free from any medical conditions that would affect my ability to do police work?
- Can I work without supervision?
- Have I demonstrated an active interest in serving my community?
- Would I be able to use deadly force, if required?
- Do I have what it takes to be a member of the Abbotsford Police Department?
If you answered yes to all these questions and you're prepared for our demanding application process, we want to hear from you.