Minimum Requirements to Apply
- Citizenship: Must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident.
- Age: Applicants must be a minimum age of 19 years.
- Driver’s License / Record: Applicants must possess the minimum of a valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s license with a certified driving record that is indicative of responsible driving habits.
- Education: Minimum Grade 12 graduation by British Columbia standards or equivalent.
- Personal Character: Must be of mature, responsible and good character, and have no criminal record. Must pass background checks that assess integrity and personal suitability to the same standard as police officers.
- First Aid: Certification of a valid British Columbia First Aid Certificate with CPR and AED. Note: Acceptable First Aid Certificates include: Emergency, Survival, Standard, Level 1, or First Responder 1 or 2. A CPR Certificate alone is not sufficient.
- Health and Fitness: Must be physically fit to perform Reserve Constable duties and demonstrate a fit and healthy lifestyle. Successful candidates will have to complete the COPAT (Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test)
- Tenure: Available for a minimum 1 year commitment to the program and a minimum of 12 hours per month.
Additional Requirements (Not required unless instructed by the Reserve Constable Coordinator to complete.)
- Vision Test: Certification stating that binocular vision with uncorrected visual acuity of not less than 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye with a corrected visual acuity no less than 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other eye. Good colour vision and visual fields according to visual standards as recommended by the Canadian Ophthalmological Society for police officers is also required. (Visual Acuity Report)
- Hearing Test: Certification stating that hearing loss in one ear not greater than 50dB and the other ear not greater than 30dB in the 500 – 3000 CPS range.