Applications from Serving Police Officers within Canada
Experienced Police Officers (Exempts)
Do you love policing and want to move to a progressive police department? Are you tired of long commutes or unaffordable housing? Do you want the excitement of big city policing combined with the sense of community that can be found in a smaller city? If you answered yes to those questions, the Abbotsford Police Department could be the perfect place for you.
We're always happy to hear from experienced police officers who are contemplating joining the AbbyPD. The AbbyPD is an innovative police department that offers its members an excellent work-life balance in a dynamic policing environment.
As an experienced police officer, your salary and benefits will correspond with your experience. Any inquiries or applications made to the AbbyPD will be kept in confidence, and current employers will not be contacted without your knowledge.
PROCESS FOR POLICE OFFICERS WITHIN CANADA
To be considered an experienced police officer, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be currently employed as a police officer, or have been previously employed as a police officer within the past three years, and
- Have an exemplary service record with your current/past police agency
Process for Police Officers Within British Columbia
Login to our online application system and submit a detailed resume and cover letter for the position of Experienced Police Officer to the Recruiting Section. If your application is deemed competitive, you will then complete the following steps:
- Application Form and Integrity and Lifestyle Questionnaire
- Suitability Interview
- Management Meeting
- Psychological Testing
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Test
- Medical Examination
Police Officers Outside of Canada
The Abbotsford Police Department accepts applications from police officers who are currently serving outside of Canada.
Police officers outside of Canada must meet the following requirements for their application to be considered:
- Have completed a minimum of four years of police service
- Have an exemplary service record
- Have excellent English language skills
- Have obtained Permanent Resident status with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (applicants will not be considered without Permanent Resident status in place), and
- Be willing to make approximately three trips to Abbotsford during the selection process (at the applicant's expense).
Detailed information regarding immigrating to Canada can be found on CIC's website. Note: The current waiting time for Permanent Residency status varies from country to country.
Login to our online application system and submit a detailed resume and cover letter for the position of Experienced Police Officer to the Recruiting Section. Please include the following with your cover letter/resume:
- Your reasons for wanting to immigrate to Canada
- Your current authority to work in Canada
- Your status in the immigration process
- Your reason(s) for applying to the Abbotsford Police Department
- Your performance appraisals for the past four years, and
- Your evaluation reports from basic police recruit training (all reports)
- Complete the Online Application Process for the position of Experienced Police Constable
- After you have completed the above steps, the Abbotsford Police Department will determine your overall competitiveness and suitability for employment
- If you are selected for employment, you will be required to attend basic recruit training at the Justice Institute of British Columbia in New Westminster (located approximately 45 minutes from Abbotsford).