COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) Safety Plan
Updated January 10, 2022
In compliance with Provincial Health Officer (PHO) orders, the Abbotsford Police Department has developed a COVID-19 Safety Plan. This plan is outlined below and is available to all employees on the AbbyPD intranet. The plan is physically posted in common areas of all three AbbyPD facilities and is available to the public on the AbbyPD website.
- We have conducted an audit of our buildings to identify gaps in engineering that will not allow for safe physical distancing between employees.
- We have identified areas where people gather, such as break rooms and meeting rooms.
- We have identified the tools and equipment that employees share while working, such as vehicles, radios, CEWs, beanbag shot guns, hard body armour, traffic cones, and printers.
- We have identified surfaces that people touch often, such as doorknobs and light switches.
Implementation of protocols to reduce risk:
- We have implemented procedures and measures to keep employees at least 2 metres apart wherever possible. This includes revising work schedules and installing physical barriers.
- We have established and posted an occupancy limit for our shared spaces.
- In order to reduce the number of people at the worksite, we have considered flexible working arrangements where operationally feasible, and meet virtually where possible.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning common areas and have implemented disinfection protocols for shared equipment.
- We have decontamination protocols in place to address an employee’s suspected on-duty contact with the COVID-19 virus.
- We have implemented protocols for employees who are symptomatic or who may have come in contact with the COVID-19 virus. These protocols meet or exceed the recommendations of the Provincial Health Officer.
Direction to Employees:
- We are developing a Work from Home policy which will include a "working alone" check in procedure.
- The HR Branch has dedicated resources to manage COVID-19 related inquiries and provide timely guidance to employees and supervisors.
- All employees have been advised of what Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required in order to safeguard against virus transmission. Sworn members are issued PPE and have been trained on how to properly use, and if applicable disinfect, the equipment.
Communication plans and training:
- We have clearly articulated the rules and guidelines for how employees should respond with any COVID-19 related issue. These guidelines have been posted to our intranet site dedicated to COVID-19.
- Signage has been installed throughout our buildings reminding employees to practise safe physical distancing and good hand hygiene.
Monitoring and update:
- We will continue to monitor risks and reassess our procedures as new information becomes available.