Minimum Requirements to Apply
- Citizenship: Must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident.
- Age: Applicants must be a minimum age of 19 years.
- Driver’s License / Record: Applicants must possess the minimum of a valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s license with a certified driving record that is indicative of responsible driving habits.
- Education: Minimum Grade 12 graduation by British Columbia standards or equivalent.
- Personal Character: Must be of mature, responsible and good character, and have no criminal record. Must pass background checks that assess integrity and personal suitability to the same standard as police officers.
Additional Requirements (Not required unless instructed by the Reserve Constable coordinator to complete.)
- Vision Test: Certification stating that binocular vision with uncorrected visual acuity of not less than 20/40 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye with a corrected visual acuity no less than 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other eye. Good colour vision and visual fields according to visual standards as recommended by the Canadian Ophthalmological Society for police officers is also required. (Visual Acuity Report)
- Hearing Test: Certification stating that hearing loss in one ear not greater than 50dB and the other ear not greater than 30dB in the 500 – 3000 CPS range.
- First Aid: Certification of a valid British Columbia First Aid Certificate with CPR. Note: Acceptable First Aid Certificates include: Emergency, Survival, Standard, Level 1, or First Responder 1 or 2. A CPR Certificate alone is not sufficient.
- Health and Fitness: Must be physically fit to perform Reserve Constable duties and demonstrate a fit and healthy lifestyle. Successful candidates will have to complete the COPAT (Correctional Officer Physical Abilities Test)
- Tenure: Available for a minimum 2 year commitment to the program and a minimum of 12 hours per month.